Here are a few links to articles and videos I found interesting this week and want to share. Some are intellectual. Some are informative. Some are just fun. If you have some free time, check them out this weekend.
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test
Lucky Gunner conducted an epic undertaking. They fired 40,000 rounds of .223 ammunition out of four different rifles trying to determine if brass case or steel case ammunition had an effect on accuracy, reliability and parts breakage. It’s a long article, but here are a few observations:
– They used Bushmaster Rifles. Two of the four guns came new from the factory with barrels improperly torqued. This isn’t uncommon. I generally advise against purchasing Bushmaster AR-15 rifles.
- Federal (Brass): 10,000 rounds, 0 malfunctions.
- Brown Bear: 10,000 rounds, 9 malfunctions (5 stuck cases, 1 magazine-related failure to feed, 3 failures to fully cycle)
- Wolf: 10,000 rounds, 15 malfunctions (stuck cases)
- Tula: DNF After 25 malfunctions in the first 200 rounds, they decided not to shoot it in the Bushmaster any more. (6,000 rounds in alternate carbine, 3 malfunctions)
How to Tie a Military-Style Shemagh/Keffiyeh
I learned all about the Shemagh when I was in Egypt. It’s a useful piece of gear and everyone should know how to tie one. Don’t get the typical red and white one unless you want to look like Yasser Arafat. I prefer the green ones like THIS.
Why You Should Run A Marathon
“I repeat: Running is a bad idea, if you make a habit out of it. So, gentle reader, please don’t take this post as permission to do something stupid like actually make a habit of long-distance endurance sports.”
How to Fix Glute Imbalances
And since we are talking about running…
Another negative side effect of long distance running is the tightening of hip flexor muscles. When those muscles get tight, they make it difficult for your glutes (butt muscles) to work properly. Here’s how to fix it…
Ibuprofen Liquid Gel Capsules Can Help Prevent Acne Breakouts
This is some very interesting research!
Dangerous Old Men
I find myself having more and more in common with these “dangerous old men” every day….
You can find the book Enemies Foreign and Domestic on Amazon. I highly recommend all of Matt Bracken’s work.
Adhoc survival gear
Some great ideas for improvised survival gear!
Some great new ideas for clothing that resists infrared imaging cameras. As the use of drones increases in this country, I predict this type of product will become more and more popular.